Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Party on

Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!" (Revelation 5:13)
There's a huge party coming up. No, it's not like any that you have ever been to. I'm not kidding!

What are the differences you ask?

Well, first of all the location is out of this world...literally. It's going to be held in an unknown (at the present time) location. Possibly in another dimension, or into the far reaches of the galaxy. Either way, this place will be like nothing you've ever seen or experienced.

Secondly, the guest list is mind-boggling. You could end up mingling with people from every nation, tongue and tribe from every conceivable corner on the planet. Not to mention as well that you will be shaking hands with people who have been dead for hundreds, even thousands of years!

Then there's the guest of honor. Think for a moment how you would feel about going to a bash put on by the President of the United States or royalty from a powerful country...think you might get a little amped-up about that? Well compared to this Host, the greatest people on the planet look like beggars.
The coolest part is that these festivities go on for...well, forever. It is a perpetual party except without the puking patrons and moronic masses. Just the opposite, in fact. These folks will know how to really have a good time without the consequences.

So what do you think? Wanna go? Perhaps you are already on the guest list, and you don't even know it. Let me show you the handwritten invitation:
That triggered a response from one of the guests:
"How fortunate the one who gets to eat dinner in God's kingdom!" Jesus followed up. "Yes. For there was once a man who threw a great dinner party and invited many. When it was time for dinner, he sent out his servant to the invited guests, saying, "Come on in; the food's on the table.' "Then they all began to beg off, one after another making excuses. The first said, "I bought a piece of property and need to look it over. Send my regrets.' "Another said, "I just bought five teams of oxen, and I really need to check them out. Send my regrets.' "And yet another said, "I just got married and need to get home to my wife.' "The servant went back and told the master what had happened. He was outraged and told the servant, "Quickly, get out into the city streets and alleys. Collect all who look like they need a square meal, all the misfits and homeless and wretched you can lay your hands on, and bring them here.' "The servant reported back, "Master, I did what you commanded--and there's still room.' "The master said, "Then go to the country roads. Whoever you find, drag them in. I want my house full! Let me tell you, not one of those originally invited is going to get so much as a bite at my dinner party.'" (Luke 14:15-24)
I'm not sure how you imagine heaven, but clearly one of the depictions given in Scripture is of a huge, blow out, one of a kind party.
Were you thinking that heaven was going to be boring? If so, it might be time to bone up on your Bible a bit.
Did you catch the other point made by Jesus' story? "The master said, Then go to the country roads. Whoever you find, drag them in. I want my house full!"

If you are a believer, your reservation at the party is confirmed. If you know people who haven't RSVP'd yet, you need to remind them of their invitation. It's simple really, and I'm not sure why everyone seems to make it so complicated!

If you knew of an incredible party coming up that you were invited to, how fast would you be on the phone with your friends?
That's what I thought - probably immediately or sooner.
Oh, but when we share the gospel we have to 'wait for the right opportunity', or 'build more bridges', or 'look for an opening'...why??? Look, you don't know when their invitation is going to expire - so what are you waiting for?

Friends don't let friends miss the party.
Also, I'm thinking that you should get ready for the celebration yourself. I'm not talking about having clean underwear on or something like that, what I'm getting at is living a life pleasing to God and growing in your relationship with the King.

Don't worry, your seat is secure- but as for me, I want to walk into the room and have Jesus say: "hey, there's Lane! C'mon up front my friend, I want to introduce you to everyone and tell them what a good job you did for me on earth!"

What's He going to say to you?

P.A.

No comments: