Thursday, November 12, 2009

Scripture list.

Scripture List: The World’s Desires vs. God’s Desires

A lot of people say you should know what you want. The idea is that if you know your desires than you will have clearly defined goals so you can get what you want. The world tells us that it is important for us to get what we want. Have you spent time thinking about what you want?

More importantly, have you spent some time thinking about what God desires? Sometimes find myself getting caught with “doing ministry,” and I forget to spend time focusing on the One it is all for. I need to constantly remind myself to spend time in the Word to understand God’s heart and what He desires for me and for His people.

I don’t want to be caught up in my desires. I want to be caught up in His.

Here are a few scriptures about God’s desires.

Psalm 40:5-6
Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare. Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but my ears you have pierced, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not require.

Genesis 12:2-3
“I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.”

James 1:19-21
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save

1 Peter 5:2-3
Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.

Ecclesiastes 7:14

When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other. Therefore, a man cannot discover anything about his future.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

No comments: