Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Labor day is over can we rest now?

Hey there everyone, I hope you had a great 3 day weekend, but now it feels like the real work begins. We don't have any more breaks for a little while, which I think is ok. We have to start to make the push to start off this year strong.

A little illustration from my weekend. Esther and I every labor day weekend spend it on a tandem bicycle for many miles. On these rides, there are rest stops about every 20 miles or so. The problem I have is like 2 miles after a break I am ready for another one, because my butt is soar, or my legs are soar, or I just don't want to be on a bike anymore. But after a couple miles in you start focusing on how fast we are going, and then your mind goes to "oh wow, we are over half way to the next stop" I can do this, I can do this!

I think that is the same way with Refuge, we are a couple weeks into it, its been really fun and challenging but now I am getting tired and wanting my summer schedule. Can I give you 3 things to help you focus on the goal:

1. Be honest: Don't shy away from your emotions, talk with someone about them. That is why we have small group leaders, and a youth pastor who wants to see you succeed, and we can come around you and lift you up in prayer and encouragement. Have an honest conversation with your small group leader this week.

2. Get in your bible: One of the things that I did this weekend when I was really struggling on the bible is I started quoting scripture, and for some reason that took my mind off my current struggle and it reminded me of Christ and what He did for me. Work hard to put scripture in your mind, so when times get tough scripture comes to mind and not your fleshly desires!

3. Serve someone: The best way I got over my soar butt, or my soar legs, was to start talking with my wife about how she is feeling, and if there is anything I needed to do for her. When we start serving others it awakens something in us, something that gets us outside of ourselves, and places our needs aside so we can focus on someone else.

I hope those things help, and we hope to see you here on Wednesday night at REFUGE! We are going to have a great time learning about "Friends with Benefits" Come and get some great biblical dating tips for this school year.

P.A.

No comments: